Monday, October 29, 2012

inspiration |ˌinspəˈrā sh ən|

Everyday people, doing everyday things, that's what inspires me.  

People who see a need and ask themselves "how can I make a difference?" They are the people I find amazing.

Since this journey began more and more of these inspirational people have come to light, is it because when you start to look you begin to see what has been right in front of you all along?

So through this post I would like share you, a little of what inspires me, to share some photos and links of just that...
Everyday people, doing everyday things, to help those in need.
Ross and Saskia at the Gioto Garbage Slum Volunteers   are some of the key people behind this volunteer group that help the people existing at the Gioto Garbage Slum, Ross is one of the first people I came in contact with as I started my research about Nakuru and it's communities.  Together Ross and the other volunteers work tirelessly to bring about change to the lives of these orphans, and also to the families that live at Gioto.

                  

It's volunteers like Sarah Truswell who last week bought all of the children new buckets, basins and soap for washing themselves and their clothes! This simple gesture will improve the lives of these children no end.  We can't begin to imagine an existence, where we can't easily wash ourselves and our clothes, or where the only meal of the day is determined by what is dumped on a garbage site.  


Then there are non-profit organisations such as the team of German volunteers at Hardcore Help Foundation - HHF is based in Bouchem, Germany and was founded by a Hardcore musician Rico, this group of volunteers travel to Kenya up to four times a year to help set up medical camps and distribute aide as and where it's needed.  They work closely with the people of the Gioto Garbage Slum and the surrounding Nakuru community, below are a few images, I've borrowed from their website and Facebook page, just to highlight a fraction of the fantastic job they are doing in Nakuru with extremely  limited resources.
 The families of Gioto, compete on a daily basis with vultures and wild pigs for food scraps and water.  This environment is a breeding ground for disease and infection, and as always in poverty stricken areas, those that suffer the most are the young, the sick and the elderly.  HHF provide free medical camps to help combat some of these preventable diseases, AIDs and Malaria are deadly killers at Gioto.

Photos and blogs documenting the outstanding work done by these volunteers, never fail to inspire me, they constantly make me question what more can I be doing?  Those of you that know me, will have guessed  that already I have a bigger plan 'brewing' I hope by the time I return from Nakuru in early February 2013, that idea will be ready to be made a reality.









No comments:

Post a Comment